- Career advice forum for scientists on PubChase – Anonymously submit questions and get answers from an extensive panel of mentors and experts. This forum is “a space to get mentoring help for science life-related issues (problem with advisor, how to transition to industry, what to do with competitive labmate, etc.).”
- myIDP (Individual Development Plan) – A free, personalized resource from ScienceCareers. “You have put a lot of time and effort into pursuing your PhD degree. Now it’s time to focus on how to leverage your expertise into a satisfying and productive career. An individual development plan (IDP) helps you explore career possibilities and set goals to follow the career path that fits you best.”
- ScienceCareers – Job search, employer profiles, relevant articles, an advice forum, and more.
- The Resources for the Development of Early Career Scientists page of the HHMI website contains a number of free, full text publications on topics like mentoring and scientific management, providing guidance for those preparing to start their own research groups.
- Career Development Toolkit for Researchers – A free PDF toolkit aimed at postdocs. “This toolkit offers some general starting points for those wanting to reflect on their career to date and to begin to formulate an ongoing career strategy.”
- Virtual Career Center for Graduate Students and Postdocs, SciPhD – lots of online webinars! “Topics include general career advice such as career opportunities for scientists, resume and interview preparation, and concerns for foreign nationals looking for a job in the US. Furthermore, skill building workshops with concentration on team work, communication and project management, as well as a whole suite of career path focus webinars are available.”
- How Does She Do It? – Over a dozen first hand accounts (and growing) from women who have a successful scientific career and a family. Each woman tells her story and gives some key pieces of advice on what worked for her.
Resources for applying to the academic job market
We’ve compiled a list of great blog posts and articles that provide advice on every step of the application and interview process to help get you started.
Writing a research plan
Job interview one-on-ones
Lots of great advice in one place
- Multiple posts on the whole process: https://bluelabcoats.wordpress.com/2008/09/12/its-the-seasonacademic-job-search-reposts
- Job Tips: applying for research jobs in academia and the private sector https://bcmp.med.harvard.edu/node/17
- UCSF resources including sample application materials:
- Academic Job Search Handbook: http://www.upenn.edu/pennpress/book/14469.html